The AMEX Business Gold is a little more intense. It has a huge sign up bonus of 30,000 pts right now and the first year is free. If you sign up using the special link here, you get an extra 10,000 pts so total of 40,000. The biggest problem is you have to spend $5,000 to get it. That's just under $1700 per month. There are companies like RentMoola pr Plastiq that help you to pay for everyday things using a credit card., things you wouldn't normally use a CC for like for Utilities, Phone Bill, Tuition, Taxes, or even Rent. Another way is to buy things for your family, so pay for the family Christmas Vacation using that card and get everybody to pay you back?
The Card Details
- 40k Bonus Points if you use my link (Normally 30k points)
- $5000 Minimum spend (see below)
- You can choose 3 businesses from a list to get 2 pts/$ at (I chose Castle Hardware, PetroCanada, and Best Buy)
- 55 day interest free period
- Card Type: Charge Card (Pay off in full each month)
- Annual Fee: First Year Free ($250/yr after that)
- 2 Free supplementary cards for first year (Great way to achieve min spend)
- Get yourself 40k points and I will also earn 10k points to go towards a trip to France for me and my ladyfriend
How I use it
- I had family who were doing a renovation and I offered to pay off their invoice to meet my $5,000 minimum spend. That had my spend done in a few weeks. But it's also totally doable other ways. Please get in touch with me or comment below if you are hesitating and want some help?
- Once I had the minimum spend, I don't really use this card much. It's better to use the Regular Gold Rewards for me.
- I used the 40k bonus and added it to my 25k Gold Rewards Bonus to get myself 65,000 points in just 4 weeks. I transferred them to Aeroplan and bought a one way flight to Australia for 40,000 points and $400. IF the dates had have worked better, I could have got it for $100 on United! All thanks to one card that has No Annual Fee for the first year.
See here for a full list of Canadian American Express Membership Rewards Partners:
- Air Canada Aeroplan (1,000 MR pts = 1,000 Aeroplan)
- British Airways Avios (1,000 MR pts = 1,000 Avios)
- Etihad Guest (1,000 MR pts = 750 Etihad miles)
- Delta SkyMiles (1,000 MR pts = 750 Delta miles)
- Alitalia (1,000 MR pts = 750 Alitalia miles)
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (1,000 MR pts = 750 CX Asia miles)
- Hilton HHonors (1,000 MR pts = 1,000 Hilton pts)
- Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) (1,000 MR pts = 500 SPG pts)